The Funeral Of John Paul II

in The Pope

A reader writes:

I know you will appreciate having a copy of the official Vatican program for the Funeral Mass and Burial Rites for Pope John Paul II. I have attached to this e-mail a PDF format of the official program. It is in two files. The program includes everything–including the "non-public" rites celebrated inside St. Peter’s Basilica just before and just after the public rites outside in the square.

I definitely do appreciate it! It’s a fascinating read (though it is in Latin and Italian). Having these available is a great good.

MASS1.PDF

MASS2.PDF

Only thing I’m not sure about is the file format. I think St. Paul was pretty firm on rejecting the idea that we should use evil file formats that good may result. ;-D

BillyHW April 13, 2005 at 6:58 am

Wasn’t it the Lord himself that decided to communicate his word to us using a language with no vowels, spaces or punctuation written down on the skins of animals so that large sections would biodegrade after a few hundred years?

Publius April 13, 2005 at 7:22 am

I know that I will be branded as a heretic for saying this, but I will anyway: I don’t see what’s so evil about PDFs. The PDF format allows you to share documents with just about anyone with a good expectation that what they see is the same as what you see. On top of that, you don’t need Adobe software to either make them or view them. What’s so evil about them?

B Knotts April 13, 2005 at 7:34 am

Jimmy, given that you think PDF is an evil file format, I sure hope you don’t use Microsoft Word (.doc).

Kurt April 13, 2005 at 2:29 pm

For those completely opposed to PDFs, the Vatican has this page too

BillyHW April 13, 2005 at 3:57 pm

Can we conclude from the Vatican’s use of this file format that it is indeed licit for Catholics to use, and hence not evil? Can we go so far as to say that such use constitutes an edorsement of PDF, making it meritorious even for Catholics to use and support?
Is this something that’s part of the ordinary magisterium?

Complete Planet March 1, 2006 at 6:12 am

Reverse Directory: Accurate Data Verification Services

Directory of databases and specialty search engines from Bright Planet…

SSERUNKUMA CYPRIAN May 18, 2007 at 8:45 am

homily during funnel of pope john paul II