“Two By Two, Hands Of Blue”

in Curios & Humor

The other day I was having routine maintenance done on my pickup and I noticed the employees of Jiffy Lube were wearing something VERY unusual that I had seen before:

Dsc00295

This seems to prove that either Jiffy Lube is part of the BLUE SUN CORPORATION or that the Blue Sun Corporation will evolve out of Jiffy Lube, 500 years hence.

Or maybe it just means that Joss Whedon goes to Jiffy Lube.

Fortunately, none of their customers were bleeding from their eyes and fingernails.

Charles R. Williams October 10, 2005 at 1:01 pm

This woman is wearing nitrile latex gloves. Why? Nitrile rubber is resistent to oil and doesn’t trigger an allergic reaction. They are also more comfortable than natural rubber latex. Used motor oil is carcinogenic.

Neb October 10, 2005 at 1:44 pm

Aaaaaaagh! :-O The Jiffy Lube of no return!

John October 10, 2005 at 2:00 pm

You better hope my wife doesn’t see this mention of Jiffy Lube. It’ll cause her to go on a mega-rant. She had some very bad experiences.

BillQ October 10, 2005 at 2:07 pm

Jimmy, you might have thought the blue gloves were unusual, but I bet they thought it was even odder to have a customer whip out a camera and start taking pictures. đŸ˜‰
On another note, though I was a fan of BTVS, I don’t get the reference to blue hands and Joss Whedon.

arthur October 10, 2005 at 3:50 pm

BillQ, the blue hands is a refernce to the bad guys in Firefly/Serenity, not the Buffyverse.
–arthur

ukok October 10, 2005 at 3:51 pm

What on earth is a ‘Jiffy Lube’ ?
‘Jiffy bags’, I send to my buddies around the world, but ‘Lubes’ ?
I knew I shouldn’t have been playing on the computer this late at night, now I’ll be wondering what they are until I fall asleep…I’m as shallow as a petri dish, yes.
God Bless
p.s. Hope your invoice was kinder than mine was the other week, I got stung with a £600 repair bill.
p.p.s. Ok, I think I have it. That’s the name of the garage, maybe! By jove, she’s got it, methinks. I need to sleep. Goodnight.

Margaret October 10, 2005 at 3:57 pm

Ukok– they do an “oil and lube” (i.e. change the oil) in a “jiffy” (i.e. quickly) hence “Jiffy Lube.”

Pep October 10, 2005 at 4:15 pm

Yeah, sometimes they do it in too much of a jiffy, ie, spilling fluid all over my engine. And I hate the oil filter routine they always pull. Oh, it’s got a spec of rust on it, therefore you must replace it or your car will explode. Sorry about the rant.

Gene Branaman October 10, 2005 at 4:33 pm

I feel so lost, sometimes, when there’s cultural references I don’t get ‘cos I haven’t seen the show/movie yet. (SIGH)
Not that I tend to spend my time on anything all that productive that’s keeping me from seeing 13 eps of Firefly & the new movie . . . (SIGH)

hippo354 October 10, 2005 at 4:47 pm

ukok – what’s a ‘jiffy bag’? sounds like something they give you on the airplane for motion sickness;)

Tim J. October 10, 2005 at 5:37 pm

I, too, am lost here.
I clearly don’t watch enough science fiction.

Jimmy Akin October 10, 2005 at 6:26 pm

I asked permission first.
Even gave them the blog address so the lady could have her kids look up the picture.
Also promised I’d be nice.

Puzzled October 10, 2005 at 9:33 pm

You revealed yourself to one of ‘them’? I haven’t seen the movie yet, but those guys make my hair raise on the nap of my neck.

Ry October 10, 2005 at 11:50 pm

So, what you seem to be saying, Jimmy, is that River had the chant all wrong.
Instead of “Two by two / Hands of blue,” she was supposed to be saying, “Two by two / Change your oil every 3,000 miles.”
I suppose that makes sense. Mal doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who changes Serenity‘s oil all that regularly. I bet he pushes it, tries to go 5, 6, heck, maybe even 7,000 miles between changes. I suppose he might pull over and add a quart or two when Serenity‘s oil light comes on. But River somehow senses that Mal’s supposed to be draining the old oil and replacing the filter too.
This explains a lot about why River was always so freaked out all the time she was onboard Serenity. There ain’t nothing comforting about stretching mileage between oil changes.

ukok October 11, 2005 at 1:38 am

Margaret,
thanks for the explanation. I needed it. I was going to ask what ‘lube’ referred to, but I ‘get it’ now. that could have been embarrassing.
Hippo 354,
‘Jiffy bags’ are vari-sized ‘envelopes’. They usually have a nasty mustard colour exterior and on the inside they have bubble wrap to protect the contents you might chose to put in them.
I was suprised to get a parcel from one of my american friends a while ago, in a box called a ‘Goody Box’I like the box so much, (it has this cute little heart where it should have the ‘o’)…are these the american alternative for sending small(ish) parcels? They’re really cute, but the contents were free to bang about in it, fortunatley everything arrived unbroken.
God Bless.

Veronica October 11, 2005 at 11:19 pm

Ry: Good point. I had never seen the Firefly series with that perspective… it all makes sense now! I think I’ll rewatch the series keeping that in mind…

MP3 Planet March 15, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Phantom Planet MP3 Downloads – Phantom Planet Music Downloads

All Full Albums, World Charts, Top 20’s, 40’s, 50’s, 100’s, mp3 links…

andy October 9, 2006 at 6:18 pm

PLEASE tell me where to get purple nitrile gloves-thanks for thegreat show