Yeah, I Can’t . . .

in Film and TV

. . . tell you how many times I've been in exactly this situation with Mark Shea.

Tarhiel April 21, 2009 at 1:01 am

I didn´t get that trailer. What was the point? Why he coudn´t show it?
Without understanidng it, I can´t understnad Jimmy´s comment about it.

Justin April 21, 2009 at 1:21 am

I think he meant being held at gunpoint by Mark Shea (who’s playing the gun-wielding character here).
Dale Ahlquist has done a lot of good work, but I’m not sure why he wanted to turn Manalive into a movie.

Jon April 21, 2009 at 6:10 am

Looks like torture to me.

Brian Sullivan April 21, 2009 at 7:38 am

From reading Mark’s blog, seems about right to me…
Because “Watchmen” was already taken..
Because Streisand wasn’t available for a remake of “The Way We Were”…
Because Mark Shea held him at gunpoint!

Roger April 21, 2009 at 7:46 am

You can only understand this scene if you know the story in Manalive. As Chesterton goes, this is a particularly quick easy read. Get the book. You can even download it free online. It’s one of the most uplifting and fun stories you’ll ever read. Fantastic!

Tim J. April 21, 2009 at 8:28 am

I always wondered what went on during those Catholic Answers cruises.
“At sea, no one can hear you scream!”

Brent Brown April 21, 2009 at 9:27 am

That looks awesome! :)

Shane April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am

I love the other guy in there. He completely makes this scene.

Jimmy Akin April 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Not just being held at gunpoint by Mark Shea!
Being held at gunpoint and forced to sing “If You’re Happy And You Know It.”
. . . or the “Hokey Pokey.” I forget which it was last time.

Jimmy Akin April 21, 2009 at 12:14 pm

It’s okay, though.
Next time I had the gun and made him do “The Chicken Dance.”

Paul H April 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Hilarious post! :)
I think that the other gentleman (besides Mark Shea) is a Catholic actor who I have seen interviewed on EWTN. However, I can’t remember his name or the name of his production company, and a quick Google search isn’t turning up any helpful links.

Mark P. Shea April 21, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Heh! How do you think I got Jimmy to give the first presentations on the Alaska cruise while I took a walk on the promenade?
The other guy in the scene is Kevin O’Brien, who turns up a lot on ETWN and is a very gifted actor. You can see oodles off his good work at http://www.thewordinc.org/
Plus, he’s a mensch!
By the way, the real comedic whiz in this scene is never seen: it’s Kirk Gillon, the guy who edited the trailer. The editing is what makes this thing so funny, I think.
Your prayers are appreciated. This week Dale, Joey, and I will finish filming “Manalive” (a bunch of montage shots) and then Joey starts the process of editing the film (with the very gifted Kirk), as well as adding sound, music, etc. We are shooting for a fall release.
PS: Why “Manalive”? Because it’s a funny tale that is small enough you could film it on the budget we had ($100,000). The Man Who Was Thursday would be fun to do, but would require a colossal budget (and be very hard to adapt to the screen). The Napoleon of Notting Hill, dittos. Most likely future candidates: the Father Brown stories. Kevin’s already done one for EWTN that I know of (Eric Kaiser Johnson and Andy Weir, two my castmates, where in it, if I’m not mistaken). Our hope is to do more! And, if all goes well, I might have a crack at some more character roles (Chesterton writes great roles for fat guys) and maybe even a shot at another film that our Assistant Director has written and is trying to get backing for.
Fun!
Right now, though, we need to finish this and (just as important) figure out how to distribute it. Your prayers for success in that venture would be much coveted.

Mary April 21, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Well, Jimmy, can you at least give us an estimate?
Or is that you know but can’t tell?

Tarhiel April 21, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for answering, now I know :)

Opey April 21, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Is Mark acting? Just kidding. Got my attention. *clap* *clap* *forced smile*
Seriously, this would be one I would like to watch. Praying for the best.

The Masked Chicken April 21, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Jimmy wrote:
It’s okay, though.
Next time I had the gun and made him do “The Chicken Dance.”

Hey, that’s not fair! Do I get any film residuals? My name as guest choreographer? Bird seed??
Hmmph… :(
The Chicken

Joseph D'Hippolito April 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I’m sure Mark was pretending that the person on the other end was Dick Cheney; otherwise, he never would have gotten into character.

JoAnna April 22, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Get thee to Librivox and download Manalive on MP3! It’s a fantastic story and well worth a listen. (Librivox also has some of the Father Brown mysteries, The Man Who Was Thursday, and others available!)
You can also read or download a text version of Manalive here.