My New Book Is Out!

in Apologetics, Books

Disorientation No, not the one you're thinking of. A different one.

You see, recently John Zmirak, Elizabeth Scalia (the Anchoress), Eric Metaxas, Peter Kreeft, Robert Spencer, Dwight Longenecker, Eric Brende, George Rutler, Donna Steichen, John Keck, Mark Shea, Jeffrey Tucker, John Zulhsdorf, and I were sitting around the pool shooting the breeze and talking about how it would be nice to collaborate on a project with each other.

So we did.

We wrote a book together.

That afternoon.

At John Zmirak's suggestion, we took on the most common ideologies infesting college campuses today–sentimentalism, relativism, hedonism, progressivism, multiculturalism, anti-Catholicism, utilitarianism, consumerism, cynicism, feminism, Americanism, Marxism, and modernism.

And we trounced them thoroughly, with each of us contributing a chapter. (I did the one on anti-Catholicism.)

Now that book is out. It's called Disorientation: The 13 "isms" That Will Send You to Intellectual "La-La Land."

While it's pitched in a special way for those in or entering college (hint: Christmas gift idea for high-school or college-age relations!), it's also fun to read and of interest to anybody who would like short, snappy responses to the ideologies of our day.

And it comes with cartoons! Did I mention that it comes with cartoons?

While the above poolside story is entirely fictitious, the book is not, so . . .

GET YOUR COPY!

Tim J. October 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

That’s some cool beans, right there.

Richard October 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Not only does it get you itching to read the book, but this post is also very well done.

Tyler October 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Congrats, Jimmy.

Daniel Latinus October 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’m just trying to imagine the pool party with the guest list you gave…

Nick October 26, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I’m a little weary about a book written by some people who, though wise, have, for some, no learning in philosophy. It’s akine to a doctrinal book written by some people who, though, wise, have, for some, no doctorate in doctrine. I know some college students would feel the same way.

The Masked Chicken October 27, 2010 at 5:30 am

Dear Nick,
I assume you did not know that Dr. Peter Kreeft is a professor of philosophy at Boston University and that Fr. Zuhlsdorf is finishing up a doctorate, part-time, (I think) in Rome on St. Augustine.
Also, a doctorate, while handy for getting a job in academia, does not mean that one cannot do work on a doctoral level. In fact,Majorie Rice is a housewife who is one of the best tiling theorists (a branch of mathematics concerned with patterns) in the world and she had a high-school education.
The Chicken

Thomas S October 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Dear Masked Chicken,
Prof. Kreeft teaches at Boston COLLEGE, not Boston UNIVERSITY. I am offened by your mistake both as a former student of Prof. Kreeft and as a BC hockey fan who resents any confusion between the two schools.
GOOD DAY, SIR!

Sharon October 28, 2010 at 2:54 am

I think that Jimmy has a philosophy degree.

The Masked Chicken October 28, 2010 at 5:10 am

GOOD DAY, SIR!

Dear Thomas,
I am sorry that I wasn’t paying more attention when I posted. I use the work of a mathematician from Boston University in my own research and, Lord willing, I will be attending a conference there and possibly delivering one or more papers there, next year. I should have looked up Prof. Kreeft’s affiliation before posting.
On the other hand, since I was responding to a specific point raised by Nick, it is sufficient for the proof that Dr. Kreeft has a doctorate in philosophy. His affiliation does not damage the proof.
To make up for the insult to Dr. Kreeft and Boston College fans, everywhere, I will put a link to Dr. Kreeft’s homepage.
The Chicken

Fr. Josh Miller October 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Bought it. It’s awesome!
The reason I bought it: I wanted to review it, and determine whether this would be something I routinely give high school kids as they leave the parish for college.
It is! It highlights all the errors of the day, and had I read this before I began public university, it (maybe) would have saved me the hassle of having to learn about the anti-intellectual nature of the topics covered on my own.

Linebyline October 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm

If we buy through your Amazon store, do you get something? Like an Amazon-branded cupcake and a single-serving carton of milk? (Or, in lieu of that, a percentage of the purchase price?)

Jimmy Akin October 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I get a small percentage of the purchase price, which I could use to get an Amazon-branded cupcake and a single-serving carton of milk.
So purchases through the aStore are definitely appreciated!

Louis Vuitton Bags December 9, 2010 at 1:22 am

If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends, and indeed towards strangers as well.